Why We Exist
When arts organizations have stable homes, protected from a volatile real estate market, they are free to be the trailblazers that make San Francisco a global hub of innovation and creativity. In economically diverse neighborhoods like Central Market and the Tenderloin, community arts organizations act as a connecting point for people of different economic and cultural backgrounds to understand and bridge their differences through participation in the arts.
The mission of CAST is to create stable physical spaces for arts and cultural organizations to facilitate equitable urban transformation.
- Acquiring properties to sustain arts in selected San Francisco neighborhoods
- Building the capacity of cultural organizations to lease or own property
- Bundling leases to sustain affordable rents for those not prepared to buy
- Leveraging funding to achieve the goal
- Creating a new and inventive approach to asset development for cultural organizations
- Contributing to neighborhood revitalization strategies with arts at the center of economic and community development
- Demonstrating a new philanthropic strategy for the arts by recycling financial resources and forging unprecedented public-private partnerships
- Mitigating space challenges for arts organizations in one of the hottest real estate markets and most important cultural communities in the US
- Serving a mix of cultural organizations, artists and a community of people that is diverse by age, race, gender, economic status and cultural background
Kenneth Rainin Foundation The Kenneth Rainin Foundation enhances quality of life by championing and sustaining the arts, promoting early childhood literacy, and supporting research to cure chronic disease. The Foundation believes that people trying to affect change need an early champion for their ideas. Like its founder, the Foundation listens to and invests in innovative and collaborative projects that can achieve real breakthroughs and make life better for us all. KRFoundation.org
Northern California Community Loan Fund (NCCLF) NCCLF is proud to assist with the formation of CAST and developing the model to stabilize community arts organizations in a rapidly escalating real estate market. NCCLF provides financial management and real estate consulting services to numerous arts organizations in Central Market. They are pleased to work with CounterPulse and the Luggage Store Gallery, whose community programs provide neighborhood residents an opportunity to engage with the creative arts. Their ability to stay in the Central Market neighborhood will enable their programs to flourish and become anchors in the artistic community. NCCLF.org
San Francisco Office of Economic and Workforce Development OEWD supports the City’s ongoing economic vitality by strengthening its neighborhoods, businesses, commercial corridors and workforce. Its goal is to ensure that the City will always be one of the best places on the planet to live, work and play. OEWD.org/Development-Projects
Join the CAST Community
CAST counts on the support of community organizations, individuals, businesses, government agencies and others, and collaborates with an array of partners who offer expertise to advance the CAST mission. Be part of the solution and support CAST today. Contributions are tax deductible.